Rani mukherjee


Date of Birth
21 March 1978, Bengal, India


Height
5' 3" (1.60 m)


Mini Biography
Mukerji comes from a film-oriented family of Bengali origin. Her father Ram Mukherjee is a retired director and one of the founders of 'Filmalaya Studios'. Her mother Krishna was a playback singer. Her brother Raja Mukherjee is a film producer, now turned director. Her maternal aunt, Debashree Roy, was a Bengali-film actress and her cousin Kajol is a Bollywood actress.

Mukerji is a trained Odissi dancer, and began learning the dance in tenth grade. Mukerji studied at Maneckjee Cooper High School in Juhu, and later enrolled at Mithibai College in Mumbai.

While in school at the age of 14, Mukerji did a cameo role in her father's Bengali film Biyar Phool (1992). In 1994, Salim Akhtar, a family friend, offered her a film called Aa Gale Lag Jaa (1994) but her father was against it as she was too young. Mukerji turned down the offer and Urmila Matondkar was cast instead.

Two years later, Salim Akhtar came up with another offer and insisted on her playing the protagonist of Raja Ki Ayegi Baraat (1997). After a long discussion with her father, she agreed to do the film. When the film was unsuccessful at the box office, Mukerji returned to college to complete her education.

BIOGRAPHY


Trade Mark
Husky voice

Queen of Bollywood



Trivia
Got her first breakthrough with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998).

Cousin of Kajol, Sharbani Mukherji, Mohnish Bahl and Tanisha. Niece of Joy Mukherjee and Deb Mukherjee.

Indian model.

Daughter of director Ram Mukherjee.

Favorite comic: Archie and Donald Duck

Favorite outfit: Anything comfortable

Favorite hobby: Dancing

Favorite food: Fish made by her mom.

Favorite gift: Diamond ring her dad gave her.

Her favorite film is 'Titanic' along with that her favorite song is 'My Heart Will Go On' from 'Titanic'.

Favorite Perfume: Polo Sport

Won 'Best Actress' for Hum Tum (2004) at the Bollywood Movie Awards, Screen, Cinegoers, Sports World, 1st GIFA, Zee Cine, IIFA and at the 50th Filmfare Awards.

Won accolades in the 'Best Supporting Actress' category for Yuva (2004) at the Bollywood Movie Awards, Screen and at the 50th Filmfare Awards.

Won accolades in the 'Best Supporting Actress' category for Veer-Zaara (2004) at the Sports World, Cinegoers, IIFA and South Africa Awards.

Won Sports World Jodi of the Year with Saif Ali Khan (2004).

Only actress on Filmfare power list (2004).

Won a Filmfare award for best supporting actress for 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.' Directors then started taking her seriously, and then she signed up to do 22 films.

She changed the English transliteration of her surname from Mukherjee to Mukerji several years ago. At the time, it was reported that she did this for numerological reasons. Recently, she has claimed that numerology was not a concern; her name had been put down as Mukerji on her passport, and she wished to harmonize her name and her passport.

She is the first actor to ever win both the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress trophies in a single year (2005) at the Filmfare.

Two movies in which she appeared have been India's entry to the Academy Awards. Paheli (2005) was the official entry for the 2006 Oscars. Hey Ram (2000) was an earlier entry.

Appeared at the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, as part of a performance showcasing Indian culture, on behalf of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, to be held in New Delhi.

Besides acting in films, she also does many charity appearances for noble causes. Her most noteworthy show was Temptations 2005 where she performed in New Delhi. The event provided the opportunity to raise funds for National Centre For Promotional of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), a leading disabled rights group. Shahrukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra were also amongst the many who contributed to this cause.

In 2005, she worked with the biggest production houses and banners: Black, Bunty aur Babli and The Rising. These three movies were amongst the top ten grosser of the year. Paheli, while only moderately successful, was India's official entry to the 2006 Oscars.

In February 2005, she was the only woman on the listing of "Ten Most Powerful Names of Bollywood". Filmfare Magazine incorporated her into the Power List at # 10. She was ranked at # 8 the following year, a number ahead of Aishwarya Rai. In February 2007, she was placed at #5 on the prestigious Power List, configuring the highest ranking for a woman. Rani has also been ranked # 1 in the Filmfare Top Ten Actresses' Listing for three years in a row (2004-2006).

She has won well over 60 awards to date.

Listed # 1 on Rediff's 'Top Bollywood Female Stars' Rankings for three consecutive years (2004-2006).

Was honored by an audience of 50,000 at the Casablanca Film Festival (2005) in Morocco where her selected four movies were presented to the foreign masses of people.

Her film, Paheli (2005) got the honor to open the ninth Zimbabwe International Film Festival in Harare a year later.

In 2006, the actress bought a new house for herself in Juhu. The interiors were done by Twinkle Khanna and it took an entire year to get ready.

Black (2005), Paheli (2005), and Veer-Zaara (2004) were all part of the final process of nomination selection for the 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards amongst 60 foreign films in 2006.

Appeared at the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, as part of a performance showcasing Indian culture, on behalf of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, to be held in Delhi.

Listed # 36 by UK magazine 'Eastern Eye' as one of "Asia's Sexiest Women" (Sept/2006).

Rani Mukerji have been the only member from the film industry to have been invited to the dinner in Honor of President Musharraf.

She was invited to the Toronto International Film Festival to promote her movie Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. Due to her schedule shooting of Tara Rum Pum in New York City, she opted not to go.

In early 2007, the actress performed an act with Saif Ali Khan in Versailles for Lakshmi Mittal's guests at his daughter's £30 million/$65 million wedding.

Mukerji was offered the lead role in Hollywood film, The Namesake (2006) but owing to clashing dates with Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006), she couldn't commit to Mira Nair's project.

In November 2006, Mukerji was shooting a film in Varanasi when avid fans crowded the set. Security personnel beat the crowd back with sticks. A media storm followed as various groups insisted that Mukerji should have stopped the security guards. The actress later issued an apology.

The actress donated her prize money, her half-share of half-a-million rupees from her 2007 appearance on "Kaun Banega Crorepati?" (2000) with Preity Zinta, to the Holy Family Hospital. She said that this institution looks after children with heart problems which is a major setback in India.

In February 2005, Mukerji performed at the HELP! Telethon Concert to help raise money for the victims of Tsunami in company with other Bollywood stars.

As of 2006, she is a six-time Filmfare Award-winning Indian film actress, the most wins by an actress tying with Nutan Behl.

Besides acting in films, Mukerji has associated herself with several other commercial and non-profit organizations. In March 2004, Mukerji visited the sandy dunes of Rajasthan to boost the morales of the soldiers. It was for a show where entertainers and stars visit Indian troops in far-flung regions to encourage them along with the NDTV team.

She has been featured in the list of Rediff's "Best Dressed Actresses".

Rani Mukerji was listed on the coveted Rediff's 'Bollywood's Most Beautiful Actresses' Listing along with Sonali Bendre and Aishwarya Rai.

For her three minutes dance act at the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games, alongside Saif Ali Khan, she was reportedly paid 1.5 million rupees.

She performed in the "Temptations 2004" concert alongside Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Arjun Rampal, Preity Zinta, and Priyanka Chopra in nineteen stage shows across the globe. It was the most successful Bollywood concert in its time and it broke all records.

The actress has been an active stage performer and has participated in numerous world tours. Her first world tour was in the year 1999 with Aamir Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Akshaye Khanna and Twinkle Khanna. It was called the "Magnificent Five". The show was widely watched in every city where it was showcased.

As of 2006, her total box office impact is worth well over Rs. 5 billion.

Her close friends in the industry include Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Aditya Chopra, Abhishek Bachchan, and Twinkle Khanna.



Personal Quotes
"The kiss with Kamal Haasan (in Hey! Ram) was mechanical. He was constantly checking the right angle. Where was the passion?"

"I don't party, I don't get drunk and I don't have affairs. So all my passion goes into my work."

"Kamal Hassan re-invented the actress in me after the 'Hey Ram' experience."

"When Karan wanted my voice to be dubbed for 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai', I really thought that it was bad and very husky and rough, but slowly I worked to improve my diction, and am now quite comfortable with it."

"You sign two films with a hero and it's said you're having a scene with him. Please, the only scenes I'm into are in front of the camera."

"Why should I try to imitate Kajol? I am not a mimicry artist."

"It's frustrating for the media to see me going about my work like Florence Nightingale - They'd like me to be Rangeeli Rani."

"I'd never trade my dad's house, even for Buckingham Palace. I'm very sentimental about living with my parents."

"I'd rather have a room full of cuddly teddy bears than a diamond necklace in a safe deposit locker."

On her character in The Rising (2005): "See, my role started as a cameo. I was supposed to play the widow Jwala's character - yes, the one Aishwarya Rai was supposed to have done. Now Amisha Patel is doing that. When I read the script, I fell in love with the small role of the prostitute. There were two or three very good scenes. The script underwent a change, and I got more space than before. But it's still a cameo - nothing like what Smita Patil did with Ketan Mehta in Mirch Masala, though I wish had."

I can never be rude to people who want photographs and autographs, but I don't like to be followed and stared at constantly.

My schedule for the day is somewhat fixed. I wake up early; go for my work-out. Play with the baby for a while, get ready and then I am off for my shoots. After work, I come home directly, play with her as long as she is awake. Then I have my dinner and hit the bed. That's it. My life revolves around my shooting schedules and Myeisha's daily routines.

I am here to act, entertain and make good films. I don't want to work hard for a film which does not even get released. I will cooperate with my director and help him make a good film. I get disappointed if my co-actors don't put in as much as I do. Today I am looking for banners and costars who have the same goal as me --- to work towards making a good film with dedication. I have made mistakes in my career, but that is just the learning process.

On Replacing Aishwarya Rai in Chalte Chalte (2003): As a matter of fact, and I have said this before, I was the original choice for this role. Shah Rukh spoke to me about the film during Asoka. I didn't have dates, so Ash replaced me. When she couldn't do the film for whatever reason, Shah Rukh asked me to do it. I love Aamir and Shah Rukh in a different way. When Shah Rukh asks, I can't say no.

I am in the profession of acting and so to suit the character I sometimes have to indulge in kissing and provocative scenes. I have never felt comfortable shooting for kissing sequences. Although, kissing scenes like the ones in Yuva with Abhishek Bachchan and in Hum Tum with Saif were shot in an aesthetic manner. I am still pretty much uncomfortable performing such scenes.

On the State Dinner with President Pervez Musharraf: It was like a dream come true! To just be part of such an event made me feel that I've done something to achieve this. All the biggest dignitaries from both sides of the border were so cultured and down-to-earth. When I was invited, I was disbelieving and overjoyed. I'm really looking forward to going to Pakistan. Let's see where the invitation comes from. Maybe it will come directly from the Begum (President Musharraf's wife). They actually want me and Latabai (Lata Mangeshkar) to come to Pakistan!.

Fifty thousand people on the beach watching 'Chalte Chalte' with me, then asking me questions about the songs and dances, the idiom and language of expression was incredible. I don't think I'll ever forget my experience in Casablanca.

sachin tendulkar biography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have some thoughts about this blog? say here..

To share this blog with your friends please use above share buttons !